|| World on the Edge
Agriculture, Communities, Ecosystems, Energy, Statewide/Global, Water
||future, civilization, world, sustainability
Minnesota Statewide, Outside Minnesota
|| This 2011 book is one of a series of books written by Lester R. Brown of the Earth Policy Institute in recent years analyzing world trends.
The book, World on the Edge: How to Prevent Environmental and Economic Collapse, published in 2011, is one of a series of books written by Lester R. Brown of the Earth Policy Institute in recent years analyzing world trends. Available for free download from the web site below, this 325-page book seeks to respond to the questions: "If we continue with business as usual, how much time do we have left before our global civilization unravels? And how do we save civilization?"
Chapters in the book, which has a global perspective, include:
* On the Edge
* Falling Water Tables and Shrinking Harvests
* Eroding Soils and Expanding Deserts
* Rising Temperatures, Melting Ice, and Food Security
* The Emerging Politics of Food Scarcity
* Environmental Refugees: The Rising Tide
* Mounting Stresses, Failing States
* Building an Energy-Efficient Global Economy
* Harnessing Wind, Solar, and Geothermal Energy
* Restoring the Economy's Natural Support Systems
* Eradicating Poverty, Stabilizing Population, and Rescuing Failing States
* Feeding Eight Billion
* Saving Civilization
As well as analyzing the range of challenges to be faced, Brown also offers his ideas for solutions that can contribute to a more sustainable future. The book is filled with up-to-date footnotes and references for those who wish to delve further.